February 22, 2010

Birds At Birmingham Zoo



This is my version of this weeks Stuck On U Sketch from Liz Qualman. It is a photo of me and my daughter-in-laws mother Utta while she was visiting here from Germany. We had a great time at the zoo with the children. When I looked at this photo of myself it was a wonderful reminder of why I need to stay on my diet!
I just love Liz's sketchs and everytime she does one for the SOUS ladies, I have to jump in and create! I hope you too enjoy Liz and every lady over at SOUS as much as I do! You just have to love my paper.... once again from DCWV, the Animal Crackers stack! Perfect for this page...
Below you will see how I laid it out on My Gypsy Woman after I made a few adjusments... as the birds on the base paper meant that I had to pull in my design. Originally I was going to have a bird cage on the left but this paper was too perfect to pass up. As it is, I altered even more when I started putting together the page.
After cutting I started by making my flowers first.
Starting with just glue dots in the center I quickly moved on to the Zip Dry as it was so easy with adding the buttons.
I then spritzed them with water to soften enough to curl the edges up a little more...
Then it was time to start working on the little bird...
I got out the chalk and added a lot more color... I colored his little legs and beak with orange and made his body a little darker so I could place a journal box under him with leftover scraps. I color his wing but didn't like how the yellow looked so I added feathers to the wing and tail. Now doesn't he look handsome?
I then had to work on placement of all my pieces in the midst of chaos... meet Steve, he was busy cleaning our carpets....

As you can see my house was really tore up so I spent my time in the kitchen working on the counter with my coffee table right behind me! I was just busy making a bigger mess!
I know I have the perfect letters for the title of this page and I picked these up for only $1 at Archivers a couple of years ago.
I got the right placement, used my handy tape, added glue and we are good to go!

Well I hope you like my little version of Liz's sketch... sorry about all the extra house photos but it has been an interesting morning. I have had my carpets cleaned, my annual termite inspection and even the had the furniture inspected by Lazyboy as I am not to happy with my loveseat.... so hopefully that will be fixed soon. I even ran the dishwasher, made the beds and of course I had to pull all the dining room chairs out be before Steven at Southern Carpet Cleaning arrived! (anyone in this area - he is the best just call me & I'll give you his number). I can't wait for things to dry so I can move about the house.... to see what else I can get into!
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
Thank you for spending a few minutes of your day with me. I just love hearing from you! Your comments are such an encouragement!
signature

21 comments:

Precious Memories Scrapbooking & More said...

This is so cute, I love the use of the feathers!!!

Sharon said...

Beautiful layout! Love the feather's you added to your little bird! All the flowers are just great. Thanks for letting us know how you made those. Will give that a try. :)

Barb Craft said...

Sandy... this is sooo amazing! That little bird is to die for!! Love the cute little feathers on his little round body!! I have to add one of these to my pages soon!! Thanks again for the step by step on how you make all the elements! I really love stealing your ideas!! :)
Barb

Barb Craft said...

OMG!!! I am such an airhead today SHEILA!!!! Sorry about that!! I guess I should know better than to try to sneak a few comments in while I am still working... I guess in my hurry I messed up!! The funny part about this is I have a cousin named Sheila who was always mad at me because everytime I typed her name, I switched the i and l... so I am always extra careful when I type your name!! But yes... take it as a compliment... you are every bit as talented as Sandy... you BOTH make amazing projects and are both so inspirational!!! I will slow down and be a little more careful in the future!!! :)
Barb :)

Sandi Clarkson said...

Seila. great job on doing the sketch! Love your feathered friends and of course, I ALWAYS love flowers. I'm enjoying seeing how you use your Gypsy to design. And we are so honored to have you joining us in our challenges!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

This is so adorable!!!!! I love the feathers! What a great idea. It gives life to your birds. The pictures are great too. I love the letters.

Jodie R said...

I love this! the colors are soo bold! The layout is absolutely adorable. I want to do a little cake from the cake boxes for my little girl and these are the exact flowers I envisioned. Thank you! Now I know how to do it.

Anonymous said...

Love the LO!!! Those birds are great - and the flowers. WOW!!!

Magoo said...

holy moly lady...I have SO MUCH to learn from you!!

I ADORE birds and yours are JUST THE BEST!!!

super cute , super sassy layout! :) :)

Anonymous said...

AWESOME PAGE!
This is SO much fun..the paper, the colors, the fun embellishing by the flowers, feathers and letters!
I just love when you have a blast just looking at a LO!
AND seeing someone else having a messy house! LOL!
Oh and what a fun time it sounds like you all had together, must be tough for your DIL to have her Mom so far from her...but what a blessing to have you!

Hugs!

Unknown said...

Love this layout. So bright and fun. Love the flowers and the little feather on the bird...Cute!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Sheila you are just amazing.. love it.

~ Lorrie ~ said...

WOW.. Awesome layout. You rock the Gypsy! I love all the details. You really put your heart into this.

Nanne said...

What a fantastic job you have done on this layout of yours.. Love those flowers and the feathers on the birds.. too cute!!!
Great take on this weeks sketch and I'm so glad you had so much fun making a mess in your kitchen...LOL :O)
hugs
Nanné

Brenda said...

AWESOME layout Shelia....I fixed my post!!!
hugs
Brenda

Lolliscraps said...

what a great layout! I love the flowers!

Melissa said...

You are so creative! The flowers are fantastic and I love your little bird!

MelissaAllore on the Cricut Board

Snowmanlover said...

Oh LOVE this! The paper is great for that. Love the birdies!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Sandy said...

This is just fantabulous ms sheila...amazing elements...love those feathers...and of course fab photos as well...those flowers are amazing...gonna have to give my twist to those me thinks...just altogether wonderfully done!!!! thanx so much for sharing you talent, inspiration and process with all of us...you are the bomb GF

Michele said...

There is a lot to love about this!!! I love the bird and feathers, the flowers, the whole design, the mini tutorials, that alpha you used for the title (they look like jello jiggler letters), the colors, the photos... This is a wonderful layout!