July 8, 2010

Bloom - A flower tutorial!

Good morning! I am so excited to be back for my second Sassy post! Thank you Sheila for sharing your blog with me!! Recently, I was working on a LO of my daughter when she walked into the room. She was so impressed with the flower (remember - she is only 8! It doesn't take much!!) she immediately wanted to learn how to do it!! Well... that got me thinking... If she wanted to learn, maybe others did too! So, let's start with the completed LO!
I don't mean to brag, but isn't she a cutie?!!  LOL!! Now, back to the flower! These are easy peasy to make!! This is what you are going to need:

I like to use 2 patterned papers and 1 solid. You only need one size circle punch to make the flower. The bigger the circle punch, the bigger the flower!

I like to use my punch upside down so I can see exactly where I am punching!

I punched out 3 circles from each pattern.

Next you need to fold in the two sides so they touch in the middle.

Do this with all six circles.

I then pick one pattern and cut on the fold half way up.

With the other pattern, I cut on the fold from the top, and go half way down. It's hard to tell in the picture!

Once I have made the cuts in all 6 circles, I lay them out in order, with the part of the circle I folded facing in.

Now it is easy to slide the ones that were cut from the bottom (green) into the ones that were cut from the top (stripes).

Continue until you have all 6 circles connected.

To hold it all together, I lift up a part of the overlapped circle and place a small drop of glue on the paper. (If you look really hard, you can see the glue on the flap that is lifted up!!)

Once they are all glued together, I add a button to the center using a glue dot. Now, once I layed this flower on my LO, it kind of got lost in the other patterns, so I had to come up with a way to seperate it from the other papers.

So... I cut out 6 circles from the solid cardstock using the same punch as the patterned papers.

I placed some adhesive on the back.....

and worked my way around the flower, letting a little of the red stick out behind each circle!

This is what the finished circle looks like!!

I also made a smaller flower out of circles. (I used a smaller punch to get these.) I cut out 5 patterned paper circles and one solid circle.

Then I just started laying them down in a circle, overlapping each circle as I went.

I added glue to the back of the solid circle and placed it on top... this is what holds the flower together. If you wanted to, you could glue each circle together as you put them together, but it really is not necessary!

Add a button with a glue dot and you are finished!!

And here it is again on the final LO! Thank you so much for taking the time to look through ALL of these pictures... I know there were quite a few! If you would like to see more of my work, you can find my blog by clicking HERE!!
Thank you for hanging out with us here at She's a Sassy Little Lady!!
Barb  :)

24 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Wow!!! Love these unique little flowers and they look so easy to make with these step be step instructions. Your layout is adorable highlighting your beautiful daughter. Thanks for sharing.

Gramjak said...

Thanks for this tutorial on making these beautiful flowers. Your daughter is at a wonderful age -- to be delighted with everything!

Mrs B said...

Oh, I love these flowers! I am off to try this! Thanks for sharing and the layout is just beautiful!
CindyB

Unknown said...

These flowers are "simply" adorable!! Your layout is so pretty (so is your daughter)!! Thanks for sharing!

AndreaA said...

I love these flowers. How cute.
Thanks for sharing!!

MrsANS said...

Very cute! Can't wait to try this :) Thanks!!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

This is SO cute Barb - love those flowers - very unique - and let's be honest the picture of your little girl got me too!
Great LO and TFS your technique!
Melissa

Kraftychick said...

Gorgeous little girl (or should I say young lady?) and the LO is beautiful - thanks for the instructions on the flower - great job!
jackie

217 Creations said...

Adorable!!! Great tutorial!

Becky Roper said...

Barb this is too cute! Love it...

papillon digital design said...

yes you need to brag when you have a beautiful daughter!Your layout is lovely. And can one have enough types of flower to learn?No.. So love love the tutorial. TFS! :)

June said...

This is a very sweet LO!!! I just love your flowers and can't wait to try them!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

cricaholic said...

PRETTY LO!!!
Flowers are simple but Elegant!!! I'm gonna try these. TFS

Jodie R said...

Wow! It really is simple, but it looks amazing. Such a cute LO and your daughter is adorable!

Angi Barrs said...

Your layouts are always so pretty. Gotta try this for sure. So pretty

Cheryl Boglioli said...

I am definitely going to try this. Your layout is great and your daughter is a cutie. I love that she wants to craft with you. :-) so sweet.

Unknown said...

This is adorable! Thanks for the cute idea!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [08 Jul 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

kim.mom said...

These are ADORABLE!!! How clever!!!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Thanks for sharing how to make them... very cute

Kerri said...

So super cute! I love these flowers and plan on making some first thing tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Debby said...

Hi Barb,
Well, I am OLD and I am VERY impressed with your flower too!!!

I think your LO is stunning! I really love the colors and the directions are much appreciated. I'm gonna try this one for sure. Your daughter is adorable!

LiveLaughScrap said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Great flowers. I'm always looking for an easy & fun way to make more flowers.
Lori

Audrey Frelx said...

Beautiful layout and love the pretty flower!!! Thanks much for the tutorial, they really do look easy to make!