February 28, 2011

Easter Home Decor'-Hanging Paper Topiary

Hey y'all! Happy Monday to you! Aymee Gandy from A Scraphappy Southernbelle here with you on this beautiful day to share a bit of home decor' that I created for the upcoming Easter holiday. I hope all of you had a fabulous weekend! Anyone get any scrappin' done? I managed to do a few things, but not too much. I enjoyed spending a lazy weekend with my hubby! Anyways, on to the tutorial. Here is the project I'd like to share with you today. It's a hanging paper topiary made using my Cricut, Gypsy, and crafting supplies. This is such an easy project to do and really can add a festive flair to your home any time of the year!
This project was inspired by a tutorial I found online a couple of years ago. The tutorial was for making paper topiaries. HERE is the link where you can find complete instructions and a template in case you do not own a cutting machine. I have made a standing topiary in an urn using this pattern a few years ago, but I thought it would also make a great hanging topiary. Now, I took pictures during my process so I could share the steps with you.

1. Now, I made a 5" topiary, but you could really make this any size you would like. It all really depends on what size circles you cut. Using the Plantin' Schoolbook Cricut cartridge (or any cartridge with a circle), cut 20-2 3/4" circles. You can cut these in all one color or varying colors/patterns like I have below. For this project, I chose some Easter themed paper from American Crafts and solid cardstock.
2. You are going to score a triangle into each circle as shown below. You can wing it like I did, or use the template provided in the link above. Either way will be fine.
A tip...if you are like me and do not have one of those nifty Scor-Pal's, you can use the groove in your standard paper trimmer and a bone folder.
 
3. After you have all of the circles scored, you will want to fold up the flaps like this:
4. Now we will create the top and bottom of our topiary. You will glue the flaps of 5 triangular pieces  together to form the top and bottom as shown below.
5. With the remaining 10 triangular pieces, we will create the middle band of our topiary.
6. Once you have glued your 10 pieces together for the middle band, attach the first piece to the last piece to form the band as seen below.
7. Then all you have left to do is attach the top and bottom to the middle band...
8. Voila! Add some ribbon and various embellishment and you will have your topiary! How easy is that?!!!
 I secured the ribbon/bow for my hanging mechanism using some Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive. I love this glue because I know I can trust it to hold.
 I attached this cute little chick from the 'Simply Charmed' cartridge to the bottom. I blinged him up with some pearls and glitter glue.
I hope you have enjoyed this project and will give it a try! I promise it is so easy and fun! And best of all...affordable!

Have a fabulous week! Happy Scrappin'!

9 comments:

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Adorable!!! Love it

Lisa Norris said...

I love this! I'll definitely have to try this out...thanks so much for sharing!

Lisa
prettypaperprettyribbons.blogspot.com

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This is just adorable. Look at how cute this is. I am so glad you shared this as Easter is just around the corner and I haven't started any projects yet so this is wonderful inspiration. Thanks for sharing this great project and tutorial with us today.

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

So beautiful and festive! Thanks for the tutorial - you make it look so easy!

;)Melody

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful and perfect for the Easter Season. TFS

Granny said...

Look how beautiful this is. I just love your colors. What a great Easter decoration this is. TFS

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I am looking to do more seasonal and holiday decorating and on a tight budget - so this is perfect :)

Audrey Frelx said...

So darn cute!!! What a great Easter ornament!!!

Great job!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cutting category today [01 Mar 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria