February 24, 2011

Love My Friend (adding interest to cards)



Hey there everybody! This is Leah from Beeing Creative and Feeling Cherry and I have a cool tutorial to share with you all today. The photo is a bit of a tease for the end result of the card but let me show you how I got to there.


Here is a photo of the virtual cutting mat for the Imagine showing exactly what will print and cut, I chose images from Imagine More Cards.

Now this tutorial is really about building interest for your cards. I know many of us are used to layering and detail in our scrapbook pages but you can indeed add the same to cards. So let me show you step by step some layering...

Here is a basic, but cute card! The image is certainly sweet enough to stand on its own, the blue piece (matted in dark brown to stand out even more) is embossed with hearts and the fibers all add texture to the card.

Now I've added a sentiment to the card and also a layer of the rose, popped for detail.


I have found a great new love, the Sakura Gelly Roll Clear Star, glitter pen. Here I've used it to highlight the sentiment writing, the leaves and bird. I've used this pen a ton of times to write over sentiments or any writing..its just so pretty in person! I've even used the pen to highlight areas on stickers to make them a bit more interesting.


Now the last step is going a little farther for adding detail...this is also such a great chance for you to raid your stash. Go through all those little drawers or divided holders and see what little goodies might go with your project. You'd be surprised what you can add and it's a great way to actually use all the teeny finds you've collected.


I've added the feathers, 2 layered hearts which were printed/cut with the Imagine, 3 small roses and small bird stick pin. Some more inking (to the hearts and directly from ink pad to roses) and some glitter to the larger rose. Here you can also see the embossing on the blue background and all the other parts shining. This card is so full of texture that it makes you want to reach out and touch it!

Thanks for having me today and I hope you get some ideas for taking your cards to the next level! xoxo, Leah

11 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Leah this card is GORGEOUS! Love the colors you chose and the little cage is awesome. The feather are a perfect touch. Thanks for sharing this lovely card and Imagine tutorial with us today.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Beautiful! Love the layering - thanks for teaching how to layer on cards!! Gorgeous colors and materials too!
TFS
Melissa

Bamabel said...

This is just beautiful Leah! I love the feathers!

Kel said...

Completely and totally awesome.. love everything about it.. fantasssticallly done!

217 Creations said...

Very pretty!!

Granny said...

This is so pretty, I like the birdcage and feathers. TFS

Faith Abigail Designs said...

Wow! The layering is amazing.

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Love it! I am crazy about cages and birds...

Unknown said...

Leah ~ this is a gorgeous card!! I love the yarn!

Java Jen's Creations said...

Beautiful card!! Love it!!

GabyCreates.com said...

Love the layering! Gorgeous card! TFS