September 8, 2011

Accordion Scrapbook

Happy Thursday, everyone!! Java Jen here from Java Jen Creations to share a really fun project with you today!! Thanks, Sheila for giving me this opportunity every month!!

I had planned on making a video to show exactly how to assemble this fun album but I just couldn't get it done in time so I took plenty of pictures! I hope you all can understand how to put it all together from my pictures - it's kinda hard to show in pictures.

Here is the finished project, all tied up!

Now to break it down, step by step. Here are some of the supplies I used for this album:
I just love The Thrift Shop collection kit from October Afternoon! It has so many coordinating papers, stickers and journaling tags that have a vintage feel to them!
You need:
3 pieces of 8x8 kraft paper
    2 pieces of poster board or thin chipboard cut to a 4.5" square
2 pieces of printed paper cut to a 6" square
This pic only shows 2 pieces of kraft paper but you need three.

Score the kraft paper at 4" and then rotate and score again at 4". Line up your square so that you can make a score line from corner to corner. Do this with all 3 pieces. It is hard to see the score lines here but hopefully my directions will help you understand this step.


Cut pockets for the journaling tags in this kit from Tags, Bags, Boxes and More at 7.94"H. Use the blackout feature so there are no holes in the pocket. Cut six of these pockets.  I decorated them with some card stock stickers in the kit and some various stamps that I had.

Now to put the printed paper on the chipboard. Lay the chipboard square in the middle of the 6" square of printed paper and adhere down.

Fold the edges in and seal with a strong adhesive. Do this with both chipboard squares.

Take one of the pre-folded kraft papers and adhere it to one of the covered chipboard pieces.


Now adhere the other 2 kraft papers to this section by gluing the center solid sections.
This next picture shows all three kraft panels connected to both covered chipboard pieces.

Hopefully from the above pic you can see how to fold this album to close it. The two ends get folded up, while the center section gets folded down.  (This is where a video would really come in handy!)

Decorating this album was pretty easy with this kit! Just have fun with it by adding stickers and paper scraps wherever you think they would look good!





For the closure, adhere some ribbon on the back to wrap around the front. Adhere one of the pockets on the back over the ribbon.


Adhere the last pocket on the front and tie it up! These are the perfect album to make several of for gifts as you can pre-cut all the elements in different color palettes and assemble as needed.  

Thanks so much for stopping by today and please let me know if you have any questions about how this album goes together!  I tried to be as clear as I could! :-)

12 comments:

Cathy said...

amazing as usual:)

Dan and Heather said...

Wow this is super. I like all the spots to add journaling and even photos. Love it.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Jen this is BEAUTIFUL. I really like all the little places to put photos and those special momentos. Plenty of room to journal too. Great tutorial for this wonderful project. Thanks for sharing with us today.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Wow what a fun and pretty album! I love all those fun folds! Gorgeous!
TFS!
Hugs,
M

Unknown said...

This is super cute! What a great tut!
TFS!
craftin-on-my-door.blogspot.com

Bunnyfreak said...

Jen,
Thanks for all the details and photos. can't wait to try this.

papillon digital design said...

wow this is a great idea! Love this book style. Your album turned out so pretty. TFS

Sandy from Ukiah said...

so cute.. that's what I need to do is buy paper kits that all match.. I have such a struggle trying to pick out paper.. I have a little of this an a little of that... In fact I have a whole lot of this and that that I need to use up.

Audrey Frelx said...

Jen, really, really cute album!!! You did fantastic on the album and the tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

Awesome little album, it came out so cute and what a great tutorial.

Cricut Couple said...

Holy Shnikies! This is AMAZING! I have never seen anything like this before and I really love it! Have to try for sure and now, thanks you your amazing tutorial, I know how! YAY!

Veena said...

This is so unique and amazing. This is my first time to see this kind of design.
You truly are an inspiration!