October 13, 2011

Family Quizzes mini book

Hi everyone!! Java Jen here from Java Jen Creations again to share another mini album with y'all! Thanks Sheila for another opportunity! It is always an honor!

Today's project idea came from Heidi Swapp's video on My Craft Channel ! This site is brand new and full of great craft project videos!! I love it! Since I love mini books, this video really inspired me to try one of my own! I really fell in love with the third book she showed so that's what I'm making today. Here is a link to Heidi's video HERE!
My book!


All paper in this project is from the April 2011 Club Ruby Designers kit which has elements from the My Mind's Eye - Fine & Dandy line. These kits are the perfect thing to take with me when we travel with my husband like we are now! Everything is already coordinated so it makes it easy to pull together for a project like today's.  By the way, you can get it at a discount if you are a Club Ruby Advantage member! Check out Club Ruby HERE!

Start with a card stock rectangle, (or chipboard), that measures 7.5 x 12 and score 4" and 4.25" from the left and 2.25" and 2.5" from the right.

Now to start making the inside pages - we want them all to be no wider than 5" and no longer than 14.5", (since they get folded over). I varied the length of my pages like Heidi did in hers because I think it really adds interest! 

Here is a side view of all the un-embellished pages adhered in the book. The pages are bound using the back to back binding technique that Heidi Swapp demonstrated. So simple and easy!


Now comes the fun part - EMBELLISHING! :-) I used some of my scraps to decorate the cover. The stickers I used are also in this Club Ruby kit.
The pic below is the cover before embellishing:

This is the back:


The cover after embellishing - the ribbon slides over to keep it closed.

The edges for the pages were cut from the Elegant Edges cricut cartridge. How fitting! :-) I cut two of each border, flipping the second one on my Gypsy so that when I glued them together they fit perfectly. I unlinked the height and width so that I could set the width at 5" and stretch the height to be what I wanted! I love this feature of the Gypsy! 

I did the same for the labels. I unlinked the height and width so that I could stretch the width to fit my handwritten titles. (Sorry this picture is not flipped! It was right on my computer but when it uploaded to blogger it was this way!) :-(

The completed cuts from Elegant Edges:


The quizzes that I used in my book are from a special issue of Simple Scrapbooks. I really miss that magazine but I use my back issues quite frequently! 

Following are lots of pics of the completed pages with embellishments. The ones that don't have quizzes on them will most likely have photos on them.

Open with all the pages closed.










ALL DONE! I can't wait to fill in our answers! This will be such a good coffee table book!


Thanks for stopping by today - now go create something beautiful! 







18 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this mini!!!! I love how the inner pages are folded and different lengths! Your embellies are so cute!!

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Lovely project! The papers are great too.

Lynne said...

This is amazing - I love this idea of yours!!! I stumbled across your blog by accident but ever sew glad I did!!!!
Lynne
Her Craftiness
http://slasewcraftiness.blogspot.com/

Stacy said...

What a cute project. I love everything about it
Hugs, Stacy

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Oh this is adorable - I LOVE all your gorgeous paper and the trim is so perfect that you created on your Gypsy! Great idea!
hugs,
M

papillon digital design said...

very cute mini. Love the unique fold on this one

Cricut Couple said...

Wow! This is AMAZING! It really looks like a lot of work, but well worth the effort!

Peggy T. said...

Jen, this is amazing. I love the varying lengths of the pages and your embellishments are adorable.

Bamabel said...

This is adorable!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What a darling mini book and great instructions...

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a GREAT mini!!! Love the different size pages on the inside but I really love the concept and the way you are keeping track of the trip and your feelings and joys! Great embellies... I have a hard time with that in making a mini. Thank for sharing this great project with us today.

Audrey Frelx said...

Jen, I just love your mini!!! Love the pages and all the adorable little embellie you cut out. It's just too adorable!!! TFS!

Unknown said...

Jen, your mini is adorable, I love everything about it
TfS with us
Hugs
Adele

Jeannie said...

What an amazing idea--how fun to give to my adult kids for Christmas! Thank you so much for sharing such a great tutorial.

Simply Sassy Scrapper said...

What a great mini! Love the idea of everything!!! Great work and fabulous tutorial!!!

Cheryl Boglioli said...

Oh! I love this. I love the design.

Kelly said...

Great Mini. Off to have a look at the link. Thanks for sharing x

GabyCreates.com said...

Great mini...wow look at all that work...have to try one, maybe? Thanks for all your step instructions!