April 12, 2012

Pass the Caramel Popcorn!

Happy Thursday, everyone!! I hope that spring has sprung by now in your neck of the woods! It has actually been hot here! (85-90 degrees!) Anyway, thanks to Sheila for allowing me to share a special project with you all!

I have this amazing recipe for Caramel Corn that you make in the microwave! Yes, you read that right - in the microwave! So much easier and less time consuming than making it in the oven! Yay!! I'm sharing the recipe and the adorable popcorn box that I made to package some in to give away!

Here is the recipe - it is very important to adhere to the time instructions listed.
6 qt. popped corn (unsalted)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1 c. brown sugar
Pop popcorn and put in large microwavable bowl. Set aside. Melt butter in a large measuring pitcher. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Stir. Cook in microwave for 30 seconds. Take out and stir. Cook in microwave for 3 more minutes.  Stir. Add baking soda and stir well.  Pour this mixture over the popped corn and stir well but gently. (You probably won't get the popcorn all coated in this step. You will be stirring it again after the next one. )  Put the bowl in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Take out and stir again, mixing well but again, gently. :-) Put back in microwave for 1 minute 20 seconds.  Take out and stir.  Spread out on a large surface, like a cookie sheet, to allow it to cool.  As it cools, gently break the pieces apart until completely cooled.  Enjoy!!
Here is my freshly popped corn.

This is how it looks just after pouring the syrupy goodness over the popcorn!

This is after the first stir. You can see how some of the popcorn isn't coated yet. 

Final product! Just look at all the caramely, buttery goodness! Trust me, it tastes absolutely wonderful!!
Now onto the paper project!

I cut the popcorn box from the Tags, Bags, Boxes and More cartridge at 7.82" H.  I forgot to take a pic of this cut on my Gypsy, but I rotated it so that I could make it that big on a 12x12 mat. 
Here it is cut out, scored and ready to assemble.

All put together ready to embellish!

Cut a 12" piece of lace ribbon and adhere all the way around the middle. I used my ATG gun with great success! 
Cut another piece of coordinating ribbon - (sorry, forgot to measure this one), to adhere and tie over the lace ribbon.
I cut this tag from the CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge at 2" and stamped it with the coordinating stamp! (This cartridge is simply fantastic for adding so much dimension to your projects!) 

I added some crinkle ribbon in the pre-cut slots to make a handle and tied the tag through one end.

View of the inside.

Here is my completely finished project! This is the perfect container to present someone with such a yummy treat!

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I encourage you to make this special treat and share it with a special someone to make their day! 

13 comments:

Dana said...

This really turned out nice. Great project. (And it looks so yummy)
http://iwycd.blogspot.com/

K-E Kreations said...

Sounds like a yummy project & looks just as good. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

That popcorn looks yummy. What a nice presentation to give to someone. Very cute box.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a delightful project! I love carmel corn and can't wait to make some of my own! Can't say it would ever see the inside of a container before it would be eaten though!!!
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe and tutorial with us today.

Jeannie said...

Oh my suffering diet! I can almost smell that corn.......And what a pretty gift it would make! TFS!

Brenda said...

This little gift is fabulous! Love how you spruced up the popcorn box and the recipes sounds awesome! We have done the oven method and it takes forever! So I'm anxious to give this recipe a try!!

Bunnyfreak said...

I want some of this. Looks yummy.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

I love this creation!!! The popcorn too - what a great little gift idea!! I must try it!
hugs,
M

mfc.melissamade2 said...

I love this creation!!! The popcorn too - what a great little gift idea!! I must try it!
hugs,
M

Migdalia said...

Oh!Love the Box!!Love TBBM2 cart!Yummy!TFS!
http://craftingwithcreativem.blogspot.com

Barb Smith said...

What a great idea! I have a friend coming soon rom Virginia and she LOVES carmel corn. I think I'll make her some and package it nicely. She'll love it.

Barb from Toronto, Canada

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What a cute gift this would make.. thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Such a fun cute gift!