March 28, 2013

Shabby Chic Butterfly Clothespins




Hello! Leah from PaperBlossoms here to share a simple project making some shabby chic butterfly clothespins. My daughter's birthday party is coming up and the theme I chose this year is garden party, so butterflies and flowers are for sure a part of that! I wanted to make some little clothespins for decorations and also to use as favors (I'm thinking the mom's for this one;)  so let's get started!

I bought my clothespin at Walmart and you get a whole bunch for about a dollar. I chose to paint mine with some acrylic paint, also from Walmart for a dollar. You'll want to let them dry completely before the next step, but it's doesn't take long, just a few minutes.


What's shabby without a bit of glitter? :)  So I used my very favorite dry adhesive, Scor Tape. I just cut two strips of it to fit the front of the clothespin and sprinkled my glitter on. Love that there is no wait time for it to dry.


I wanted a layered look for my butterflies so I chose a PTI die and for the white butterfly I found a cut off the Art Philosophy cartridge that layered with it nicely on page 41 and cut it at 1 1/2". After die cutting I dry embossed the white butterfly with the Cuttlebug Swiss Dot folder.


Then comes the fun part, putting them all together and embellishing! I used scor tape to adhere all my pieces together and for the different centers of my butterflies I chose to use a button with embroidery floss, a little felt flower with a brad and a rolled flower with a pearl center. To tie them together so they are different but cohesive I used a silk hydrangea flower for each of them. The rolled flower was cut using the Flower Shoppe cartridge, page 13, cut at 1 1/2".

I hope you enjoyed my little project and if you make any I'd love to see them! Leave me a comment here or on my blog and I'll be sure to come take a peek:) Thanks so much for joining me today!

9 comments:

BethAnn M said...

They are really cute! TFS them, and it's a great idea for a party. BethAnn M.

Unknown said...

These are adorable!!! How fun for spring!

Scrappin Rabbit Designs said...

Very cute clothespins and very shabby chic. Love the colors.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

How cute is this! Love the soft colors and the way you adhered the glitter.... I have to use that trick! Thanks for sharing today!

Nana said...

Adorable, love the color and glitter.

Have a great day.
Hugs Nana
♥ My Crafting Channel ♥

Migdalia said...

Very Cute!!TFS

Karon said...

So cute and what a great idea to share! Happy Easter.

Anonymous said...

What a fun and creative project! How easy to add these little butterflies to gifts and cards! Thanks for the directions!

Audrey Frelx said...

Cute-cute-cute!