July 29, 2013

Fridge Magnet Project

Hi Friends,
 Sandy here with another post for She's a Sassy Lady.  Today I am going to show nice project that I made for my sister. Her and the family are leaving for Africa in 4 days for two years. She will work as a teacher/missionary.  So...yeah, I'm a little emotional right now.

She asked me to make some thank you cards to give to those that support Martin's 4 Africa.  But, I got to thinking, thank you cards are nice and all, but I wanted something that people can see everyday.  And when they do, they might be reminded to say a little prayer for her, Joe and the kiddos.  I came up with refrigerator magnets. It is something that people will see when they head to the fridge. She loved that idea and even helped me make them.  We spent the night, laughing, remembering and just enjoying each others company.

So let's get started...
You will need:
  • 3x3 chipboard square ( I got a poster board sheet of chipboard at the craft store, we made 50 of these from that sheet)
  • Mod Podge
  • 1 piece of 3x3 cardstock 
  • 1 piece of 3x3 Pattern Paper
  • Adhesive
  • Nail File
  • Distress Ink Pad
  • Embellishments- punches, stamps, die cuts, etc.
  • Magnet strips (can get in a roll or on a sheet at the craft store)
Here are the magnets that I made for my sis ...
  • The Africa shape is just a clip art that I downloaded and printed from the computer. 
  • First, Adhere the card stock and pattern paper to the front and back (great way to use up scraps) on the chipboard square
  • File the edges, this will help the paper stay on the chip board.
  • The heart is from Cricut Craft Room Basics, cut @ .5" and the sandals are from Life's a Beach and cut at 1".
  • I wrote the sentiments on the front with a calligraphy pen and ink the edges and sides with the distress ink, 
  • After you decorate the front of your chipboard, do the back if you would like 
  •  You are going to Mod Podge with a couple of coats (we did 3-4 coats and it is well worth the extra time).
  • The Sandals represent the money (over $2000 that the kiddos raised for Shoes 4 Africa)
  • The heart is over Ethiopia, where they will be
  • Their Faith, Hope and Love is what has gotten them this far in this calling on their lives.
This is the back. 
                                 
As you can see, I decorated that back with this cute sentiment stamp. And using my Just Right 15pt. font set, I was able to sign them Martins 4 Africa.
Everyone was amazed that these are chipboard/paper and not wood.  With the Mod Podge texture and the extra coats, they are so sturdy and will last for a long time.

I hope you were inspired with this project.  Very easy to do, makes great gifts. Other ideas, are using photos of people or places that you have been, making personalized magnets to hold the kiddos school projects or even a to-do/shopping list.

ps: here are the "thank you" that I did previously for my sis. I used Life's a Beach and welded the letters together.  I attached with a brad to swing the top sandal over.


Hope you have a blessed day and thanks for stopping by,
 

5 comments:

Karon said...

WOW - Sandy - these are fabulous! Good luck to your sister and her family. TFS

Unknown said...

Love your magnets and the card!!! What a worthy cause!!!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Sandy this is just adorable I love your little magnets and what a wonderful cause. Thank you for sharing today.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sandy! What a wonderful way to keep this sweet family constantly covered in prayer as they minister in Africa! How beautiful that you and your sister shared this project together! The magnets are awesome! God bless all of you!

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Sandy these are just too thoughtful! TFS