September 17, 2013

A little bit of folding :-)

Hi everyone!  It's Karon here, from Karon's Krafty Korner.  Thanks for letting me share, with you all and thanks Sheila for having me come visit each month.

I made a card like this last week and so enjoyed doing the folded frame, that I had to make another one and thought I would share how you make the frame with you.

So here is the card I made.  My card base is 5" square.


To make the frame you will need a piece of double-sided card stock, that is 4.75" square.  I used my Martha Stewart score board, to make the following score lines. (I have used white paper to show the lines better.)  You will see that I have my square, with the tip, positioned at 3 3/8", I also draw a line down the score line with a pencil as this helps get it positioned correctly.


Score at 1.25" and 1.75" and then rotate the square 90 degrees, and score again at 1.25" and 1.75".  Doing this until you have scored all four sides.



For the folding of the frame, start by folding at the 1.75" score line and fold into the centre of your square.


Next, fold the 1.25" back to the outer edge.


Do this on all four sides.


If you want to fit your image inside the frame - don't forget to do this before you start securing the frame sides :-)

To secure the frame sides; firstly add some foam tape to the inner edge like this and secure.


And then the top outside edge like this.


Do this on all four sides.  I find if you do to opposite sides together - it will fold nicer and you get a neater frame.



And there you have it, a nice solid frame.

My little image is a stamp by Studio 112, stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black, from Michaels and I coloured it with pencils.  I inked round the edges of the frame and base layer with CTMH Sunset ink.


My papers are from First Edition card stacks "Bird Song" and "Spring Feast".  The little tag is also cut, from this stack.  The tiny sentiment is from a Small Stamps set, by Hot of the Press, "Just a Note".   I added some ribbon and a bow to finish off the front.


For the inside of my card, I used the same base layer as the front and as it has a lovely space for writing your own message, I didn't feel I needed to add anything else.


Hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and that you will give it a go.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy crafting.

9 comments:

Audrey Frelx said...

Karon, I love your card and the beautiful fold!!! Fabulous!!! TFS!

Anonymous said...

I love folded frames also. I didn't know how to make this one. Thanks a lot for posting the tutorial!

Unknown said...

LOVE this fold!!! Your card is beautiful!!

Charlotte C said...

Gorgeous card. I've made that folded frame and I thank you for reminding me to do it again - only wish mine would look half as pretty as yours.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Karon this is just beautiful.... I have to try one of these for the next card party, it's too late for this weekend but I know everyone would just love it! Thanks for sharing.

Karon said...

Thank you so much!

Boopster said...

Very ingenious and lovely use of color. Thanks for a good tutorial as well.

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Wow Karon! So very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial on the folded frame.

Artes de Nágela said...

Absolutely adorable!
Thanks for sharing!