February 18, 2014

An Oriental Gift Box

Hi everyone!  It's Karon here from Karon's Krafty Korner - thanks so much for having me come visit Sheila. Sending you lots of hugs.

Anyways, I have finally got round to making a gift box for some Oriental cards I have made over the past couple of weeks.  Here's a picture of the cards I made :-)


I wanted the box to look somewhat oriental.  So I started off with a piece of cardboard from a package I had received.  My cards were 8" by 3", plus the envelopes, so had to make the box to fit these.


It measures 9" by 4" and I bought some gold tissue to cover it.  I just wrapped it like a present.  Looks like a yummy bar of chocolate doesn't it :-)


For the underneath, I cut a piece of black card stock just a quarter of an inch smaller and stuck this over where I had stuck the tissue.  Therefore hiding any tape etc.


Next up was making the box to put the cards in.  I cut a piece of card stock 10 7/8" by 5 7/8".  Then scored this piece at 1.25" on all sides, and cut in tabs ready to make the box.


Made up the box and secured this to the gold base.


Next up, is the lid.  You will need an 11" by 6" piece of card stock, once again scored on all sides at 1.25".  For this piece, I also used my circle punch and just clipped out those little pieces for easy of lifting the lid off.


Now, in hind sight, I would recommend that you decorate the panels before you put the box together! But as I was experimenting with the size of the box and it worked, I didn't want to waste it, so I had to put the panels on after it was assembled, albeit a little fiddly :-)


I really didn't want to over embellish the box, as the papers are stunning in themselves.  However, I have added a couple of fans and the scroll.  All the papers and embellishments are from the Polkadoodles Dollie Daydream Goes East collection - it is available as a CD and also as a download bundle!


I scored the fans, added a little pearl dot and then rolled the scroll, to add some dimension to them.


And there you have it, a lovely box to give this set as a gift.


I hope you enjoyed your visit today.

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy crafting.

4 comments:

Charlotte C said...

Wow, beaautiful - both cards and box. I think the detail of the gold base is awesome.

Sonya said...

Wow--what a beautiful box for those awesome cards. Simply stunning!

Unknown said...

Wow Karon - these boxes are stunning!!!

Karon said...

Thanks so much everyone :-)