December 4, 2015

Christmas Countdown

Happy December Sassy Crafters!

Ah the holiday season is upon us. Thanksgiving was last week (which was awesome to spend with the family sharing stories and eating great meals) and by the time this posts, Christmas will be 22 days away! Eeeek! I started Christmas shopping, the tree is trimmed, stockings are hung, but something was missing! I decided to make a countdown calendar. I add little treats or notes each day until Christmas! Side note, the song "Final Countdown" is in my head...thanks Europe and thanks Geiko!
Anywho, I purchased the file (3D Countdown Box Calendar) a couple of years ago from the Silhouette store. Lori Whitlow, the creator of the file, has a wonderful tutorial on how to assemble it. I made this before, so I was able to do it easily by memory. For this project, you will need:

1: 4 12x12 sheets of cardstock or pattern paper for the base 
2: 9 12x12 sheets of cardstock for the boxes
3: 1 12x12 sheet of pattern paper as the decorative parts for the boxes (I used Winter Combo)
4: 1 sheet (scrap piece works fine) for the numbers
5: embellishments to decorate the calendar (optional)


It took me approximately 1.5 hours from start to complete the project. I recommend starting with the frame first so it can have time to dry (liquid glue is best) as the boxes cut and are assembled. 

I was able to get three boxes on one sheet to cut. 
As the sets cut, assemble the boxes and add them to the frame. 
Once all of them are assembled, add the decorative front to the boxes and numbers. 
I decided to just add the penguin (Lawn Fawn) to the 25th and a sentiment to keep it very simple (since the children will be handling this). However, this box can be as dressed up as your imagination allows. 



Well I hope you enjoy today’s project and that you will give it a try! Until next time….sing your favorite holiday songs and be creative! Kenya~

4 comments:

Boopster said...

Quite an ambitious project. It turned out very well! So cute and the children will be excited to see what's in each box. Great idea!

Krafthead said...

Thank you Boopster! They look forward to what may be in the box each day :D

Charlotte C said...

Very pretty. It's something I should think about doing in the summer so I know it will be ready for December 1st. TFS.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Beautiful! Love the detail, and I know it would have taken me longer than and hour and a half. You did great, that you for sharing.